While San Jose may lack the colorful counterculture history of nearby cities like San Francisco and Oakland, this South Bay metropolis—now the third largest city in California—has transformed from orchards and farmland into the “valley of genius,” a futuristic home of high-tech businesses. With only 16 licensed dispensaries, there’s not as many options for pot shopping as you’ll find farther north, but San Jose is home to some of the largest and most beautifully designed cannabis retail experiences you’ll find anywhere in the state.
Enjoy a fantastic local dining scene, world-class museums and nightlife, as well as famous attractions like the Winchester Mystery House. With one of the nation’s largest urban trail networks, San Jose is a mecca for bicyclists, and the entire city is designed to be very bike-friendly. Use a bikeshare service to create your own dispensary tour, gliding through the heart of the city on the Guadalupe River Trail, with both Airfield Supply and Caliva within a few miles’ ride. Thrill seekers should be sure to check out Lake Cunningham Action Sports Park, a must-see destination for mountain bikers and skateboarders.
- Cannabis is legal in California for adults 21+. Bring an unexpired driver’s license or passport to get into retail stores.
- It’s legal to carry up to one ounce of cannabis flower as well as eight grams of extract.
- You can also grow six plants on your own private property in a locked enclosure not visible to the public.
- Adults 21 and older can gift each other cannabis and transport it. Cannabis must be unopened and locked in the trunk, like booze.
- No driving or boating high. No open containers or half-smoked joints.
- No smoking in public. That includes any private place that is open to the public, such as hotels and bars.