All You Need to Know About Cannabis Legality by Country
The cannabis plant has been the topic of discussion for a long time. It is a plant that has been widely used for both medical as well as recreational purposes. The latter of which is most common among young generation. This is the reason why it has been completely banned by few governments. In some countries, you may be fined by the authorities; however, its use is not decriminalized by the law. Contrary to that, even if it is legalized in few regions, you cannot use it publicly. In other regions of the world, it is legal and has been widely applied in medical science. Continue reading to know more about cannabis legality by country.
Countries Where the Use of Cannabis is Legal
The countries where it is legal are listed below:
- The Netherlands
- The United States
Other countries include:
North Korea, Czech Republic, Uruguay, Cambodia and Costa Rica and Jamaica
Note: Here, an important thing to remember is that the state laws in each country are different. Therefore, in some states, you can consume it after a doctor’s prescription, wherein some you can use it even for treatments.
- You may consume cannabis in Germany all you want, as it is legal for both public and medical use.
- Similarly, in Mexico, you have the liberty to use at least 5gs of cannabis. You may even grow a pot of cannabis in your backyard.
- In Italy, however, its use is restricted for medical purposes only. It is the last country where you can publically use cannabis.
- In countries like the United States, you can easily access cannabis in the state of Nevada, California, Alaska, Colorado, Massachusetts as well as Washington DC.
- In some states, it is completely off public limits wherein few states, you can use it only for medical purposes.
The Medical Applications of Cannabis
- It has been used in some countries for the treatment of depression and anxiety.
- It has been recommended to be used for the treatment of Glaucoma.
- It has been known to improve the functioning of lungs.
- You may expect it to control seizures as well.
- Sometimes, it may also be useful for the treatment of cancer.
Reasons why it is banned
There are few countries like Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Japan, where it has been banned for a number of reasons.
- Its use is highly addictive and causes a stoned feeling, which may lead to death in severe cases.
- Some argue that it is dangerous to be used medically. Therefore, in some countries, its medical use is still considered controversial.
- Many scientists say that even if is used medically, it will eventually create the same effect as that of unmediated cannabis.
- There have many debates in the past and very few countries were convinced by its positive effects.
- Only the public image of cannabis alone is responsible for its illegal status in some regions.
A Final Word
With the passage of time, the laws are changing in some countries. Now, more and more countries are allowing it to be applied for research purposes.